Beale Township Fire Company History
Below is the Beale Township Fire Company History. A big "Thank You" to Dale Henry for finding/allowing us to post this information!
Beale Township Fire Company No. 5 (Walnut)
The Beale Township Fire Company of Walnut formed on January 14, 1960. It is next to the newest company in Juniata County, with Delaware Township Fire Company formed just two years later. Twenty two citizens met at the Walnut Grange Hall on the above date and agreed to the purchase of a 1935 International fire engine. Dewey McWilliams agreed to loan the company the funds to make the purchase. In addition the group received $140 in donations towards the cause. The land to build a fire hall was donated by Frank Moyer. The community donated labor and materials to build the station on Cider Press Road in the Village of Walnut. Various fundraising was done to retire the building debt on September 13, 1961. Since then, the station has been rebuilt and expanded to three bays.
Additional early equipment purchased by the company included a 1947 Dodge pumper, a 1952 Ford pumper and a 1974 Chevrolet tanker. In the early days of the company, fire calls were received at Lyter’s Store in Walnut until the company joined the county-wide dispatch system.
The Beale Township Fire Company maintains an engine, tanker and brush truck and covers all of Beale Township and the northeast portion of Tuscarora Township. The company website states that it protects “the residents of Beale, Tuscarora and Spruce Hill Townships”. The Beale Township Fire Company frequently provides mutual aid service to East Waterford, Port Royal, Mifflin and Mifflintown.